10.26.2011

The Name Game

So, since Baby P finally let out the big secret that she's a girl I have torturing myself trying to come up with the perfect name. See, if it was a boy we knew 100% that he would be Declan Leo. The Mr. and I both agreed on Declan years ago (long before a baby was in the plans) and love the name, and Leo is his dad's middle name, Grandpa and Great-Grandpa's first name. It was perfect. So, for the first half of the pregnancy we threw around girls names and both approved of Anika, but of course, now that it's time to actually commit to a girl name I just can't do it.

Do I still like Anika? Most definitely, especially since the Mr. and I both have 3 syllable first names that end with an 'A' it is fun that it fits the mold. However, I am terrified that people will mispronounce it all of the time. We like the pronunciation of Ah-nick-ah, but I've already encountered people who try to pronounce it Ann-ick-ah or the dreaded Ah-neek-ah. Is it worth the risk of having to correct people on a regular basis? I've tried to come up with another girl name that I like as much and I'm having a very hard time. Turns out I'm very picky....for instance I stay away with anything that ends with an 'ee' sound because our last name does as well and needless to say it ends up being way too many ee's if it's in the first name as well. That and the other issue is that I come from a large family, supersize actually, with 57 first cousins. Yup, that's right, so a lot of names are already taken. For instance Addison, love it, but already used.

So, any suggestions? Throw them my way. If not, we'll keep throwing around ideas and probably, at the end of the day baby girl will be Anika. Anika Noelle to be exact. Guess we'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment